Saturday, October 4, 2008

Camera class- lesson 4

In the 4th and final lesson we learned about lenses, use of focal length, using the flash (up to this point we weren't allowed to use it), and accessories for the camera (such as filters).

The assignment was to take 2 photos: the first was to show creative use of focal length. We could use either the wide angle or telephoto, the point was to make the most of whichever focal length we chose. I submitted this picture using the wide angle. I took a bunch of pictures of this tree while we were at the park:

The second shot was to show creative use of the flash. I struggled at times with the meaning of 'creative use' but the point was to show we understood the material and were able to apply it to our photography.

I submitted this picture of Sweetie. My camera allows you to adjust the flash output; you can reduce or increase the flash- very cool! It was overcast but very bright outside and Sweetie's face was a little dark (see next pic) but at regular strength the flash created a 'white out' effect. I reduced the flash output so you could see her face better, while still looking natural.

This is the same shot, same camera settings with no flash:


I really enjoyed the class and learned so much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are cute pics of sweetie! She totally looks like a basketball star. oh and the tree pic is cool too!

Leslie said...

More!